Thursday, June 19, 2014

I need a purpose...

I started this blog as part of finding that purpose.  Currently, I just run around low security space trying to find some good 1v1's and occasionally run with the Frosty Blob and get on some kill mails or potentially die in a fire trying to.  While this is fun, I play EVE for the fact that it has MUCH more to offer.

I have an industry alt and a missioning/jack of all trades alt that... well.. yeah, I haven't found his exact purpose either besides 'doing it all' and doing it terribly :P.

So, why this post then?  Why do you who have visited give a damn that I need a purpose?  I don't know, because I found something I want to talk about and that's how I decided to name my post damnit, deal with it!

So here I go...

I've been reading more and more blogs (I'll update my reading list in case you care later).  One thing led to another and in this case it was Miner Bumping led to Ganker Bumping which led to Ganking is Bullying.  I read everything at that final stop and I'll talk a bit more about that but the piece I wanted to really touch on was point 34 (at the time of this writing which I'll paste below):
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
34. All right, so ganking is bullying. What do you expect CCP to do about it?

Actually, I don't think CCP is necessarily responsible to do anything. They have provided a tool that has a great amount of flexibility and a wide variety of uses. Like almost any tool, it can be used for immoral purposes, but we should not require the supplier of that tool to act as the morality police. Barring cases of psychopathy, the ultimate responsibility to stop bullying lies with the bully, and with him alone.

That being said, there are some steps which CCP might take that would be considered praiseworthy. A few suggestions:
  • Decrease the delay time before CONCORD responds to a ganking, all the way down to instant response in 1.0 systems.
  • Place sentry guns in asteroid belts, at least in 0.7+ systems.
  • Institute harsher security status penalties for gankers.
  • Since a wardec basically amounts to CONCORD taking a bribe to look the other way, make it behave rationally by accepting bribes from both parties; allow wardecced corps to pay the same amount as the original fee in order to cancel the wardec and prevent a new one for two weeks.
  • Support efforts to create an anti-bullying educational campaign among the Eve community.
Again, I would consider these actions praiseworthy, but not obligatory.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've given some thought to this exact thing and I don't like the outcomes that have come to mind many times.  Its just like in real life, the police do what they can to catch the criminals.  So, let me walk through each of the proposed solutions and provide some feedback.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
34. All right, so ganking is bullying. What do you expect CCP to do about it?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ganking might be bullying but damnit, this is a game of internet spaceships and a place that we can all go to unwind and do something that we MIGHT not do in the real world.  Yes, its true... people do things in this game that they wouldn't do in real life... SHOCKER!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Decrease the delay time before CONCORD responds to a ganking, all the way down to instant response in 1.0 systems.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't like this at all.  Would you get instant response from the police in your cozy suburban home?  Nope, didn't think so.  NOW, if you had a neighborhood watch program or something similar, then you might get more instantaneous results.  Obviously the 'crimes' of gankings happen so fast that we would have to have concord in the belt when the perp performed his actions so that he could be return ganked by the dokken without causing harm to the victim.  Why not make this happen?  Why not increase the threat level of a system based on how many non-war dec sanctioned kills happened there and increase the response of concord accordingly.  The less non-war dec sanctioned kills happen, the lower the threat level of the system and therefore the slower response times.  This idea would allow for gankers to gank but not constantly in the same system.  Make their lives harder as it seems awfully lame that they can gank, hide in a safe for a minute and then dock for the remainder of their criminal timer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Place sentry guns in asteroid belts, at least in 0.7+ systems.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WRONG, don't create more lame-o NPC structures that we can't interact with.  Why not instead a mobile defense unit that we can deploy that is fairly lame in HP and is just like the mobile depot, tractor unit and the other mobile structures we're getting.  That way, gankers can still gank but now their lives are again just a bit harder.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Institute harsher security status penalties for gankers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think my idea for point one covers this...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Since a wardec basically amounts to CONCORD taking a bribe to look the other way, make it behave rationally by accepting bribes from both parties; allow wardecced corps to pay the same amount as the original fee in order to cancel the wardec and prevent a new one for two weeks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This one, I kind of like actually.  Why not give them a way to pay their way out of a war dec without potentially being scammed?  Not entirely sure I agree with 2 weeks though but the time frame can be negotiated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Support efforts to create an anti-bullying educational campaign among the Eve community.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not entirely sure I understand what this one is talking about.  However, one thing I've always thought about while cruising through high sec would be to see more bill boards.  Like your driving down a high way in real life, all those bill boards of companies trying to sell you something or raise your awareness.  I definitely don't agree with a single purposed thing so something like more billboards that can be rented out by player entities would be a sweet addition to the high sec space ways.

I think thats me for now, fly dangerous o7

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, I've been asking myself the same question for the past two weeks. "What is my purpose/goal in EVE. What do I want to work towards and accomplish?" I'm always billed as the good guy in RL so anytime I think of things I may want to do in EVE it always is something dastardly and horrible. Think the Mittani but only much, much worse.

    Miner Bumpers . . . did you know that "Taz" was born specifically to take down a particular Bumper who ganked my first toon in EVE? I made my first toon on January 30th 2014 and by February 23rd I was killed for the first time in the Balle system. Never even heard of them until that day, but MAN they pissed me off. So a buddy of mine who I talked into playing (he quit this month on the 2nd, btw....) suggested we made PVP toons specifically for targeting the MinerBumper's. To date I have yet to go after the person who first killed me, but it is on my bucket list for EVE.

    So anyway, yeah - if you figure out what your purpose is in EVE before me I hope you share it here. If not maybe you and I could just create some alts, fly Police Issue Comets and patrol where MinerBumper's are known to gank and police the systems for profit. Not sure how that would work but I've always wanted to see a fleet of Police Issue Comets land on a Bumper and watch them burn! But that's not very evil of me and actually is the good guy in me coming out . . . . . again . . . . . DAMMIT! ;o)

    -Taz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I tend to play the good guy as well but finally stepped out of my comfort zone and went full on criminal with Marq here.

      I will update here of course if/when I find a purpose :P.

      Delete